We featured Rayy in 2012 as our February Cover Model. Her images at the time were shot by Nina Compton, St. Lucian photographer, who undoubtedly conceptualized Carnival through Rayy. We thought it was only fitting to feature the beautiful Trinidadian model again for the month of Carnival!
(insert previous lock up of Rayy)
We caught up with Rayy to find out who does Carnival best, Notting Hill or Trinidad. Check out the interview below.
COCO: What’s been going on since we last caught with you?
Rayy Alexis: I believe the first and last time I caught up with you was 2012 – since then I finished college, been working in various secretary jobs as well as the modelling on the side and I got married in March 2014.
COCO: Tell us about some of your favourite shoots in the last year.
Rayy Alexis: I’ve done so many shoots this year, my favourite would have to be shooting with a young man named Jemuel in Trinidad – we shot with his pet rainbow boa that shoot was very fun and interesting.
COCO: Any recent accolades you’d like to share?
Rayy Alexis: About two weeks ago I got my results back from my Paralegal course and I passed without any fails in my modules so I’m very happy about that.
COCO: What does Carnival mean to you?
Rayy Alexis: Carnival in my opinion means culture, freedom, confidence, fun, and art. I am so in love with Carnival it is a huge part of my life. It’s just the two days of the year where I can completely be myself, have a good time and look good while doing it!
COCO: How long have you been playing mas?
Rayy Alexis: I have been playing mas in London since I was 12, I started off in a T-Shirt section with Masquerade 2000 for a few years then moved on to other mas bands. I have been playing in costume since 2011.
Although I was born in Trinidad and have always gone back every year since, I have only been to Trinidad carnival twice – my first time I was very young and went with family, my second time was in 2014 where I experience playing mas for the first time and in a few weeks I will be out there again for my third time playing mas.
COCO: Who does it better? London or Trinidad?
Rayy Alexis: I find it hard to answer I enjoy both and for different reasons but Notting Hill Carnival is more nostalgic for me and I honestly get more excited for that.
COCO: What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Rayy Alexis: I have so many quotes and they are all from my mother. The best advice she has given me which has helped me so far in my life is encouraging me to do a Legal Secretary course in college back when I wanted to do Art. She advised me that I could get a better job with legal training (and she was right). I just finished my paralegal studies and I am now in a good position to get well paid jobs (I have had three good positions since finishing college).
COCO: If I was to open your fridge, what would I see?
• Homemade pepper and green seasoning
• Chocolate (I love it cold)
• My homemade turmeric powder face mask in a container which I do every night
• Vegetables and meat (I love to cook)
COCO: Five things you can’t live without?
• Flour: It’s just an old saying my grandma says that you must always have flour in the cupboard and it’s grown on me. Now, I make roti pretty much every other day.
• Vaseline: It is my everyday item I hate having dry/chapped lips
• Turmeric Powder: It is my favourite spice it has so many different uses. I use it in a face mask amongst other ingredients, cooking, and it helps for a sore throat along with a tsp of milk and honey.
• Photographs: I am a photograph hoarder – I love old photos. I take as much photos as I can, print them and store them away in albums, I love memorabilia.
• My Records: I love music, I’m an old soul and I believe it sounds better on vinyl, I love my collection.
COCO: What make up items are a must have for you daily?
Rayy Alexis: I honestly don’t wear much make up unless I am at a shoot or I’m getting dressed up, my daily wear would be eye liner and lip gloss.
COCO: What three items do you take when you leave your house every day?
• My phone
• My wedding ring
• My handbag full of everything I need
COCO: How do you prepare for a modelling shoot?
Rayy Alexis: I’ve been modelling for three years now, I always prepare for a shoot by having everything I would need and more in my mini suitcase. I’ve learnt not to rely on anyone except myself – I had many incidents where a MUA or hair stylist hasn’t shown up.
• I always make sure my hair is clean and straightened a night or few days before the shoot.
• If I know I am doing my own make up/hair I wake up early enough to do both before arriving to the shoot so there is more time to shoot and I can just adjust or keep changing looks.
• I make sure I have what outfits the photographer has asked for depending on the looks and if he/she has a stylist.
• I always make sure I have a boob tube for portrait shorts.
• A pair of black heels for height as I am not very tall.
COCO: Do you work out?
Rayy Alexis: Yes – I go gym three days a week in the evenings to use the treadmill and do light weight lifting – at home I do cardio by doing Zumba, I try not to overdo it, I don’t really like to over work out because I will get too skinny, I just do it to maintain and tone.
COCO: Tell us about your diet.
Rayy Alexis: I drink a lot of water, I don’t eat as much fruits as I am supposed to but I tend to eat a lot more of them when I am in Trinidad. I actually eat a lot of bad food and I am not a fussy eater so I pretty much eat anything, I take my cod liver oil and iron tablets every day, I do eat a lot of vegetables in comparison to my fruit intake.
COCO: If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Rayy Alexis: Curry goat with bussup shut roti, pumpkin, channa (Chickpea) & aloo (Potato).
COCO: Tell us your favourites:
· Colour: Red
· Item of clothing: Little black dress
· Food: Curry goat and buss up shut
· Drink: Coke
· Perfume: Coco Mademoiselle – Chanel
· Designer: Chanel, although I can’t afford it Haha
· Song: Otis Redding – I’ve been loving you too long
· Celebrity: Sarah Jessica Parker
Don’t forget to send us some photos and enjoy yourself Rayy! Happy Carnival 2015!
- Height: 5″4
- Dress: 6-8 (depending on retailer)
- Bust: 32
- Cup: A
- Waist: 24″
- Hips: 34″
- Shoes: 5
- Eyes: Dark Brown