Hey COCO readers, we invite you to get to know our newest Cover Girl, Cris! She’s more than what meets the eye, so get to know her!
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Why modelling and when did you first begin modelling?
Cris: Why?…..Hmm, I think I always felt attracted to the idea of being able to travel for work and also I am so fascinated by this world. I personally don’t use a lot of makeup or wear fancy clothes, but as a model I can experience these things anyway. A different person, style and makeup for every photoshoot! I love that!
I just recently got signed by my agency. I’ve been approached several times when I was much younger but I always got told I had to loose weight and I didn’t want that.
When I got older, I still got a lot of positive feedback on my face but still thought I had to be super skinny to become a model. On a trip to New York last year I met some awesome people, a few of them work in advertisement. They encouraged me to look for an [modeling] agency with a curve board. When I got hom I was still not so sure and was still struggling to gain the confidence to really approach this. One night I just thought f*** it the worst thing that can happen is that they say no. So I sent out my pictures.
2. What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Cris: “There are no rules”…not for how to be happy, how you supposed to look, how to achieve your goals or in which order to do things in life. You do you and everything falls into place, even if you can’t see it yet.
3. If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be and what would you say to them?
Cris: Ahh tough one…probably Nelson Mandela. I am so impressed by his ability to forgive the ones who hurt him the most. I would ask him all about that!
4. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you take with you?
Cris: E-book, lighter, Leatherman
5. If I was to open your fridge, what would I see?
Cris: A lot of nail polish [laughs], strawberries, green asparagus, feta, tomatoes, chocolate, morning smoothie and leftover quinoa.
6. Five things you can’t live without
- The Sea
- Good Food
7. What makeup items are a must have for you daily?
Cris: A good moisturizer, mascara and lipbalm and in the winter some blush.
8. What three items do you take when you leave your house every day?
- Bottle of Water
9. How do you prepare for a modelling shoot?
Cris: I always try to go to sleep early and get up early, take a long shower, shave, moisturize and have a good breakfast (which I usually don’t).
10. Do you work out?
Cris: Yes! [smiles] I try to at least 3 times a week. I do kickboxing, yoga and swimming
11. Tell us about your diet?
Cris: Well I love food! I think it’s all about treating and caring for yourself. I try to maintain a wholesome plant based diet. I do eat goat cheese and feta but no other dairy. Fish and meat very rare. Of course I have my lazy Sundays with pizza and ice cream. It’s all about balance.
12. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Cris: I could live off just fresh coconuts (water and meat) and fried plantains.
13. If you weren’t modelling what would you be doing?
Cris: I can’t live from modeling, at least not yet. I start University in October and will be studying media & business psychology. I hope to be a coach/consultant one day helping companies to create a healthy work environment.
14. What was your most challenging modelling experience?
Cris: I just started out, so pretty much everything is challenging right now.
But I remember a test shoot I did a long time ago for a friend. She studied photography and the school gave her a chance to shoot with “wild” animals. When she asked me if I could model for her, I said sure but I won’t do anything with snakes ( I am terrified of snakes !!) she assured me we would do something with frogs. When I got there the frogs where to stressed out after shooting with so many models already , the spider they had freaked out too and left her fire hairs on another model, so of course I ended up with the snake. The most scary and challenging moment- to not freak out, hold still and try to look good for the photograph. The snake was crazy and super active and in my face ALL the time. I was literally sweat dripping out of fear but in the end [I was] so proud I did it!
15. And what does beauty mean to you?
Cris: I know it’s a cliché and probably everybody said that but true beauty shines from within, it comes from the soul and reflects on how you treat people.
16. Please tell us your favourites:
- Color: All shades of blue
- Item of clothing: Oversized jumper
- Food: French toast, fruit salads, quinoa salads
- Drink: My mom’s passion fruit lemonade
- Perfume: Aqua Di Gio – Armani
- Designer: Helmut Lang
- Song: La Complicidad by Cultura Profetica
- Celebrity: Ellen DeGeneres