We all get those food cravings from time to time. The moments when our pallets are full of imaginary flavor and we are not satisfied until we get what we truly desire. That’s how I felt when I created this dish. I wanted a spicy, sweet and clean meal that required minimal physical effort. I don’t know about your humble abode, but during the summer months my apartment temperature stays on “blazing Hip Hop and RnB”, thus, I have no desire to slave over a hot stove.
Feeling the summer heat always puts me in the mood for Caribbean inspired dishes and there’s nothing that screams Caribbean like pineapples, ginger and pepper! I’m pleased to share this island inspired dish that I whipped up on a hungry whim some time ago. I’m still drooling to this day. Try it out for yourself and be sure to let me know how things turn out for you!
- 10 Chicken Legs (Seasoned)
- 2 Cups Pineapple Juice (Can also add sweet pineapple chunks if desired)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 Garlic Clove (finely chopped)
- 2 Green Chili Peppers (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Scallions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Wash the chicken legs with vinegar or lime juice (may also use fresh limes). Pat dry with paper towel and season the chicken legs to your liking. I use Lawry’s seasoning salt, garlic powder, black pepper and complete seasoning. Place the chicken in a baking dish and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the chicken and drizzle with honey. Bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until honey begins to brown.
- While the honey is browning, add pineapple juice, ginger, garlic, chili peppers and sugar to a medium saucepan. Let the mixture simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes. Taste your mix often. If you find that your mix is too spicy add more juice. For a thicker sauce, mix a little corn starch with water and add it to the sauce.
- Add juice mixture to the honey glazed chicken and bake uncovered until chicken has a beautiful brown finish. I recommend reducing the oven temperature to 275 during this time so your chicken does not burn.
- Remove from oven and garnish chicken with fresh chopped scallions.
I recommend serving this dish with fresh green veggies or if you’re about that carb life, serve it with vegetable rice or Pad Thai noodles.